Happy 4th of July!! (with a special family recipe)
June 28, 2018
Independence Day celebrations are just days away, and we know where we’ll be: with family and friends enjoying some down time and celebrating with good food and fireworks.
One of my favorite recipes to use in the summer is from my mother, Cate. Below is our favorite make-ahead side dish for barbecues or any other gathering.
Cate’s Confetti Cole Slaw
- 2 bags of shredded cabbage
- 2 sweet peppers: red, yellow or orange (Hint: Use 2 different colors of peppers to create the “confetti” look)
- 1 Vidalia onion
- 2 bottles store-bought red wine vinaigrette (preferably Ken’s brand)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- pinches of black pepper
- Thinly slice onion and peppers.
- Toss onions and peppers in a separate bowl and mix evenly, set aside.
- In a large clear mixing bowl layer shredded cabbage alternately with peppers/onions combo.
- Sprinkle a pinch of black pepper between the layers.
- Be sure to end with the top layer as cabbage.
- Sprinkle 2/3 cup of sugar over the top layer.
- Allowing the vinaigrette to settle in the bottles, pour off about half of the oil from the top of each bottle.
- Heat vinaigrette on the stove, bringing to a boil.
- Slowly pour heated dressing over the top of the vegetables.
- Cool to room temperature, cover, and refrigerate for 24 hrs. DO NOT STIR OR MIX.
- 24 hrs later, stir to combine all the flavors and taste!
A note from Cate:
This shopping list looks like you will have a ton of slaw; however, the hot dressing shrinks the cabbage. Hope you have fun making this and you receive raves as I always do when I take it to a “bring a dish” affair. Enjoy, and HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!
We love this recipe because it’s make-ahead and becomes better with time. Plus, because it’s not mayonnaise-based, it can easily travel to any party. Happy 4th of July!
All my best,